Monday, February 28, 2011

Smartphone Mount

There are some pretty neat solutions for mounting smartphones on a car dashboard. The mounts make it easy and safe to use a smartphone as a GPS or listen to Pandora on those long trips. Unfortunately it wasn't clear just by looking at pictures on the web that one of these mounts would fit exactly right. I decided to make a custom mount using my old friend, styrene. Styrene is a soft plastic that's really easy to work with. However, with the demise of the neighborhood hobby store, it's gotten hard to find. Fortunately there's a model railroad shop nearby that sill carries styrene sheets and shapes such as angles and I-beams. Plastruct and Evergreen Models seem to be the two major brands.

First I took measurements of the phone and designed a holder on paper. I found that the plastic angle-beams were the most versatile for this application. I bought all the 3/8 angle-beams in the store (about 6). I cut the pieces in a mitre box and then dry-fit them to make sure my calculations were right.

Next I glued the pieces using Testors liquid cement. This stuff actually melts the plastic and forms a great bond. Another advantage is that it's fast-drying. I used alligator clips, a pin-vice, and a hemostat to clamp the pieces while they dried.

I wanted to use the "cubby hole" in the dash to hold the mount. I took measurements and found that it was shaped like a truncated pyramid. What a complex shape! I did my best to measure the inside of the box, and constructed a box to mount the smart phone holder on. When I did my final test fit, I found that the box was too wide to be fully inserted into the cubby hole! The reason was that I had measured the cubby hole at the middle, but the inner edges were rounded so it was just a little narrower where it made contact with my box. Here's the beauty of styrene. I cut the box in half longitudinally, taking out a few millimeters of material. I used more angles to re-connect the now slightly narrower box. This time it fit perfectly. I connected the holder to the mount and put a little piece of velcro at the bottom to keep it steady.

I have yet to paint it. If I paint it, it'll be white because styrene has a tendency to melt in the hot sun.

2 comments:

  1. I love my new Android holder! The left side sort of covers the "home" button, but I guess I shouldn't be fiddling around with it when I'm driving anyway. I hope Dr. Kludge will let me put cute stickers on it after he paints it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks more substantial than my binder clip iPhone holder. But more custom bs the binder clip that goes most anywhere

    ReplyDelete