Saturday, February 26, 2011

Taiko Synth - Phase 4

Lots of folks are talking about multiple nunchucks:

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1230499241

I like the idea of using a couple i2c accelerometers from sparkfun the best, I think.
I could attach them to dowels, Y-axis could detect ドン and X-axis could detect カラ. The question is, what is the frequency response of i2c accelerometers? A spongy mount could be used to trade amplitude for frequency. Detecting the a soft note from a loud note may be a challenge, too. I think I'd keep the nunchuck as a controller.


Now that I can select MIDI channel, voice, and note, I've been able to explore timidity. One change I would like to make to my UI is that the setting should change when the joystick passes the threshold, rather than when it it released from the de-bounce routine. Because if this I find I don't know how far to push the joystick to affect a change.

On channel 0, each voice is a different instrument and note changes the frequency. In this way one could change the size of the drum sound.

Taiko related sounds on channel 0,
0,47 Drum
0,73-76, various flutes.
0,78 Shakuhachi - not there!
0,115 Drum
0,117 Taiko - not there!
0,122 Water

Channel 9 is a set of percussive sounds. Changing voice does nothing. Changing note selects various percussion instruments. So far 64 sounds like the best taiko drum. For the first phase, I just need a center hit and a rim shot. Later a shinofue, suzu, and shime would be good. I'd like to run the accompaniment on the PC while playing drums on Arduino.

Too bad a lot of the sounds I want are missing from Timidiy. Oh well, there are other soft synths to try. I think there are .PAT files that Timidity can use, but the web sites that supply these look a little scary.

Here's a video demonstrating what works so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment